Premier League kits revealed for 2023/24

Premier League kits revealed for 2023/24, See what clubs will wear this season and where you can get your own, Take a look as...
HomeCanadaStudying in CanadaHow to Study with Child in Canada

How to Study with Child in Canada

How to Study with Child in Canada. There are a lot of great benefits to being an international student in Canada, including the ability to bring family with you while you study. Spouses, common-law partners and dependent children may also be eligible for a Canadian work permit or study permit. Read on to learn more about bringing your family with you while you study in Canada.

How to Study with Child in Canada

Canada not only attracts tourists from all around the world due to its eye-catching attractions and history, but it also attracts students aiming for admission in the Canadian universities. But getting the authentic Canadian university experience does not come that easy; and studying in Canada with a child might just be a bit more challenging.

How to Study with Child in Canada

But, to every challenge, there is a solution, and to get to the solution, you need detailed information. Below you will find exactly what you need to know about studying in Canada with a child and how to make everything work.

What Do I Need to Study in Canada as an International Student?

One of the first things you should look for if you want to study in Canada as an international student is your Canada Student Visa. This visa allows the student to start their studies in Canada. It is a combination of a Canada Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and a study permit. Basically, you will need to get a study permit as well as either a Canada Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization.

Who is Eligible for a Canadian Study Permit?

International students who want to study in Canada and need a Visitor Visa or eTA to enter Canada, should apply for their Canadian Study Permit. This study permit plus the visitor visa or eTA, will allow you to start your studies in Canada. However, there are also certain criteria you should meet in order to be eligible for the Canadian Study Permit, such as:

  • Be at least 18 years old to apply.
  • Have a clean criminal history and submit the court documents to prove it.
  • You should submit copies of your current immigration status in another country or in Canada.
  • You must fill in and sign a Visa Application Center Consent Form.
  • You must prove that you will be in Canada temporarily and will return to your home country when the studies are over.
  • Have an acceptance letter from a DLI (Designated Learning Institution) with the following information:
    • An official letterhead of the school
    • The start and end date of the program
    • Your program and the degree you will obtain
    • The amount of tuition fees you must pay

Can I Take my Family Members with me to Canada?

Yes, your close family, like your spouse, common-law partner, or dependent children can come with you to Canada while you are studying there. It is important to know, however, that they will be required to apply for their own visitor visas (not study permits).

In addition, in order for them to stay with you for the duration of your studies, make sure you submit the applications together and tell the Canadian Consulate that you are family and want to stay in Canada together up until the end of your studies.

Which are the Canadian Student Visa Requirements?

The supporting documents you need in order to complete the forms are:

  • Your passport scan to approve it is valid.
  • Your travel history to prove you have blank pages in it.
  • The court documents that prove you have a clean criminal record.
  • You have to submit a Declaration Letter to the Government of Canada explaining why you should be given a visa/study permit.
  • Two photographs that meet the Canada Photo Requirements.
  • Your resume of diplomas to prove your employment or education status.
  • Medical reports.
  • Proof that you can pay for the expenses of studying in Canada (the tuition and living costs), such as the following:
    • If you have transferred money to Canada, you need a proof of a Canadian bank account in your name.
    • Guaranteed Investment Certificate from a participating Canadian financial institution.
    • Your bank statements for the past four months.
    • Proof of a student loan from a bank.
    • Proof you have paid tuition and housing fees.
    • A bank draft able to be converted to Canadian dollars.
    • A letter from the school/person giving you money.
    • If you have a scholarship, you need proof of that funding.
  • In case you are about to study in Quebec, you need to submit a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) issued by the Quebec government.
  • Submit a letter of explanation saying why you want to study in Canada.
  • In case a minor is about to study in Canada, you need to submit a Custodian Declaration Form, stating who the custodian of the child is.
  • If you’re taking your family members with you, you should have the application forms of them as well, so you apply as a family.
  • The documents should be translated into English or French, and you should have proof that the translation is correct.

The Minimum Financial Requirements For International Students

The living expenses for international students in Canada can be calculated as follows:

Outside of Quebec

Internationals coming to Canada Funds per year (in addition to tuition) Funds per month (in addition to tuition)
You $10,000 $833
A family member $4,000 $333
Other additional family members $3,000 $255

Inside of Quebec

Internationals coming to Canada Funds per year (in addition to tuition) Funds per month (in addition to tuition)
You $11,000 $917
First family member (18 years or older) $5,100 $425
First family member (below the age of 18) $3,800 $317
Every additional accompanying family member (18 years or older) $5,125 $427
Every additional accompanying family member (below the age of 18) $1,903 $159

What is Studying in Canada With a Child Like?

Studying in Canada with a child, as an international, has its own challenges. You have to take care of your studies as well as the well-being of the child, all while getting accustomed to a foreign country. However, nothing is impossible, for as long as you manage your time efficiently.

Here are some things you should keep in mind in order to successfully finish your studies as well as take care of the child:

1.   Plan Ahead

Both, being a parent and a student, are full-time responsibilities. Nevertheless, if you manage your time efficiently, plan ahead, and stick to the schedule – you will be just fine. Meaning, creating a routine and sticking to it will be a daily part of your life.

2.    Make Time for Your Child

It’s important that your child spends time with you. So, apart from studying, make sure you set time aside to spend with your child. Be it during bedtime, dinner-time, or spending quality time at the park during the weekends.

3.   Include Your Child

Having your child around while you study will be inevitable most of the time. So, including them with some sort of the same activity would be a great idea. Make them draw, or write something, at the same time you study. This will be a win-win for both of you, and you will get to spend some quality time together as well.

4.   Make Time for Yourself

Giving yourself some ‘me-time’ is also an important aspect of making both parenting/studying work. Although you might not get as much ‘me-time’ as you would expect, it’s important to turn off your brain for a while. Watching or reading something or simply having a rest, would work just fine.

5.   Ask for Support

If your spouse or any other family member is also with you in Canada, make sure they understand that you need support. A helping hand is always welcomed so do not hesitate to let them know.